Our facility is available for rental groups after our regular summer season, in late August, September, and sometimes into early October, as a venue for:
• SCHOOL GROUPS
• CORPORATE GROUPS
• FAMILY RETREATS
• SEMINARS & CONFERENCES
During the summer, Camp Tamakwa operates as a private co-ed residential children’s ontario summer camp, an all-around recreational wonderland for our campers and staff. Located in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Tamakwa is a 2.5 hour drive from Toronto. Tamakwa is basically the sole user of South Tea Lake, a picturesque lake, approximately one square mile in size. In the middle are three islands, including “Treasure Island”, a traditional destination for long distance swims, about half a mile from camp’s shore.
In the off-season, Tamakwa provides the perfect venue for outdoor education, leadership development and team building by school groups, organizations, conferences, corporations, not to mention an incredible backdrop for beautiful Algonquin weddings and family retreats.
Nestled along the winding shoreline of South Tea Lake, just minutes from Algonquin Park’s West Gate in Ontario, Tamakwa is noted for its strikingly picturesque and secluded setting. Accessible only by water, Tamakwa’s long lakefront and sloping forested hills offer the true essence of living in the northern woods, while in the comfort of well-maintained accommodations.
Tamakwa offers a wide range of recreational facilities, most prominently the surrounding natural Algonquin wilderness. In close proximity are cookout sites, waterfalls, islands, a beaver dam, adjoining lakes and streams, hiking & biking trails, and numerous other natural sites to be explored and enjoyed.
Our website depicts all the incredible activities available at Tamakwa throughout the summer and most, if not all, can be available for our rental groups. Groups can be arranged and scheduled with or without Tamakwa staff or instructors but a group of Tamakwa support staff will always be available in the off-season. Certain activities require specialized supervision (i.e. lifeguards, canoe guides, nurses, certified specialists in Ropes Course & Climbing Wall operation, Canoeing, Sailing, Windsurfing, etc).
There is a wide range of rates calculated on a per person per day basis (plus applicable taxes). Rates will depends on the number of group participants, length of stay, activities used, Tamakwa-provided personnel, and of course menu. Please contact us for further details.
• Large Rec Hall – Multi-purpose auditorium with removable seating/benches. Stage, lighting, and audio/visual system with large screen video projector
• “The Slope” – Outdoor amphitheatre overlooking lake
• “Loon Lodge” – Newly built, covered amphitheatre with stage, lighting, and sound system… can be used with benches in place or otherwise
• “Art-Deck-O” – Outdoor stage
• Large Dining Hall with fireplace (serves as indoor conference meeting area)
• Indoor lounge with food serving area
• Video “loft”: with large screen TV, DVD & VCR
• 8+ campfire areas
• 2 amphitheatre bleacher style seating areas with campfire pits; one of them on the beach
• 2 Waterfront areas with enclosed swim docks (pool-like area with a length of approx 75ft) – one waterfront area has a sandy beach, shallow area, deep end, water trampoline and swim tower
• an outdoor sports complex with roller blade hockey rink and basketball court on a professional “SportCourt” surface
• Ballfield with backstop and dugouts: softball or hardball, soccer, football, ultimate frisbess, track & field, and more
• Public address system throughout entire camp
• Game room with ping pong and “foosball” tables
• 3 Pointer transport boats (36 ft)
• Utility barge for baggage and supplies
• Large fleet of sail boats, windsurfers, canoes (cedar/canvas, kevlar & aluminium), kayaks, stand-up paddle boards… and fleet of small motorized rescue boats
• Capacity for 350-400
• 45 hardwood tables and cedar benches (seating for 10-14 per table)
• Stone fireplace
• Outdoor eating facilities as well
CABINS / ACCOMMODATIONS
• Sleeping capacity for 350-400
• 36 cabins (with electricity), 26 of which have washrooms (shower, sinks and toilets) while the other cabins are serviced by conveniently located large communal washroom facilities
• Capacity of different cabins varies, but average of 8-12 beds per camper cabin
• Separate “Staff” housing is available including a limited supply of “executive style” housing (heated, carpeted, & private bathroom)
• Full range of food service available from gourmet to camp style; can cater to any taste or budget
• Barbeques, food stations, picnics, short order, sweet tables
• Three nutritionally balanced meals and evening snack daily (vegetarian meals available)
• Menu can always be be tailored to each group’s needs, recommendations, and approval
• Most special requests made in advance can be accommodated
WHAT’S SPECIAL ABOUT TAMAKWA?
Tamakwa’s most prominent feature is its Algonquin setting. The description of Tamakwa as a “recreational village” — where participants live, work, and play in a forest environment — translates to both individual and team growth. We find that the setting and facility are vehicles to the enhancement of skills, leadership, camaraderie, self-esteem and resourcefulness. With clean air, a crystal clear lake with drinkable water, and peaceful starry nights…the setting is also a vehicle to clean healthy living.
As a point of special interest… Camp Tamakwa is featured in the Disney-Touchstone motion-picture INDIAN SUMMER, filmed at Camp Tamakwa in 1992, starring Alan Arkin, Diane Lane, Kevin Pollak, Julie Warner, Bill Paxton, Matt Craven, Vincent Spano, and Elizabeth Perkins… and was written and directed by Tamakwa Alum Mike Binder.
Please Contact Us for more information on how your group can enjoy Camp Tamakwa and Algonquin Park in Ontario.